Monday, September 5, 2011

#15 - Union Maid



Song - Union Maid
Artist - Woody Guthrie

I thought this might be an appropriate number, seeing as it's labor day and all. Yet another song that is just out of my range, so there are a few cracks in there which I find kind of amusing. This project has really made me realize the limitations in my range, but that's great because it will just make me work harder!

There was a verse for this song that was later written other members of the pro union group Guthrie was associated with (The Almanac Singers). I had never heard it before and though it might have been appropriate for the time, I thought it went against Guthrie's "go get em' girls!" attitude. Here is the final verse:

You gals who want to be free, just take a tip from me;
Get you a man who's a union man and join the ladies' auxiliary.
Married life ain't hard when you got a union card,
A union man has a happy life when he's got a union wife.

I don't know, I wasn't super into it, but to each their own!

Finally, this song really makes me think of my former employees of Dosha Salon and Spa that organized themselves and unionized. As far as I know, this is the first unionized spa in the nation. I am so proud to call these people friends and former co-workers. They are smart, strong and by standing up for what they believe are carving a new path for all people in the salon and spa industry. Thank you so much for your hard work and determination.

2 comments:

  1. Great job on this song Hanna. You picked this instrument so quick and now your playing really well.

    This reminds me that Democracy Now had a show this week about the decline of unions and a new study revealed that 25 of the nations top companies pay more to their CEOs than in taxes!!! Check it out if unions interest you: http://www.democracynow.org/shows/2011/9/1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Morgan, and thank you for that bit of information! I feel like I really don't know as much about unions as I should!

    ReplyDelete